Playing a musical instrument is as much about commitment and practice as it is about talent. Whether you're just picking up your first instrument or you've been playing for a while, there are always new things to learn.
Reading and Understanding Music
While some people can play by ear, most musicians learn how to read sheet music. Music is essentially its own language, and it's easy to learn as long as you take the time to understand how to read it. Let LoveToKnow Music guide you through the basics.
- Beginner's Guide to Reading Music - Learn about clefs, time signatures, counting beats, and more with illustrations and examples to help you follow along.
- Understanding Musical Notes and Symbols - Get familiar with these common symbols and notes, which convey how a piece should be played.
- Scales and Intervals - Scales and intervals give you practice in playing notes on your instrument and a better understanding of how the notes relate to each other. Print out the worksheets to practice them whenever you like.
Basics for Piano
If the piano is your instrument of choice, try these helpful articles that also offer printable charts and layouts.
- Printable Piano Keyboard Layout - Print a basic keyboard layout you can mark up yourself, or opt for the marked layout with notes clearly labeled.
- Basic Piano Chords - Learn the fingerings for basic piano chords and how to read them, then print out the chord chart for handy reference.
Learn How to Play a Musical Instrument
Playing a musical instrument is one of the most rewarding hobbies out there, and it can become an even more rewarding career. Whether you're learning about chords, deciding whether to rent or buy an instrument, or searching for helpful music printables, LoveToKnow Music has plenty to offer both aspiring and accomplished musicians.