Great music quotes come from sources as diverse as musicians, authors, philosophers, and comedians. Love of music can inspire people from all walks of life to offer powerful commentary about how music is one of humanity's most universal languages.
Inspirational Music Quotes
The power of music to inspire is reflected in quotes that detail the many ways music can lift the spirit and make a positive difference in people's lives.
- "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther
- "It is incontestable that music induces in us a sense of the infinite and the contemplation of the invisible." - Victor de LaPrade
- "Most people live and die with their music still unplayed. They never dare to try." - Mary Kay Ash
- "Music is a friend of labor for it lightens the task by refreshing the nerves and spirit of the worker." - William Green
- "This will be our reply to violence: To make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." - Leonard Bernstein
- "I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music." - Johann Sebastian Bach
- "There's nothing like music to relieve the soul and uplift it." - Mickey Hart
- "Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life." - Jean Paul Richter
Funny Music Quotes
Whether they're poking fun of music itself or people's varied reactions to it, funny music quotes are sure to to be a hit with anyone who needs a laugh.
- "I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else." - Lily Tomlin
- "You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." - Sid Vicious
- Stuart Rogers
- "Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes." - Bill Cosby
- "All the shopping malls and restaurants and airports are riddled with low-fidelity loudspeakers, which apparently have developed the ability to reproduce by themselves; these are all connected to a special programming service called Music That Nobody Really Likes, and you cannot get away from it." - Dave Barry
- "Classical music is the kind we keep thinking will turn into a tune." - Kin Hubbard
- "If anyone has conducted a Beethoven performance and then doesn't have to go to an osteopath, then there's something wrong." - Simon Rattle
- "I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." - Elvis Presley
- "You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow." - Oscar Levant, trying to talk his way out of a speeding ticket
Music Is Life Quotes
Many wise people have explored the relationship of music to life and the extent to which music defines the quality of life.
- "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Music speaks of Platonic truth - the ideal river rather than the polluted reality, love as we dream it rather than we experience it, grief noble and uplifting rather than our distracted weeping. It is necessary to our survival and our sanity." - Pam Brown
- H.A. Overstreet
- "I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me - like food or water." - Ray Charles
- "To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable." - Aaron Copland
- "The only truth is music." - Jack Kerouac
- "If you look deep enough you will see music; the heart of nature being everywhere music." - Thomas Carlyle
- "Bach opens a vista to the universe. After experiencing him, people feel there is meaning to life after all." - Helmut Walcha
- "Music has been my playmate, my lover, and my crying towel." - Buffy Sainte-Marie
Music as Art Quotes
Some of the best quotes about music as art come from musicians themselves, inspiring others to create and enjoy their own music.
- "If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." - Gustav Mahler
- "One good thing about music when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley
- Paul Simon
- "To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist." - Robert Schumann
- "I believe musicians have a duty, a responsibility to reach out, to share your love or pain with others." - James Taylor
- "The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music. They should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky
- "I think it's so cool that you can pick up the guitar and create something that didn't exist five minutes ago. You can write something that no one's ever heard before. You have music at your fingertips." - Michelle Branch
- "Most people use music as a couch; they want to be pillowed on it, relaxed and consoled for the stress of daily living. But serious music was never meant to be soporific." - Aaron Copland
Music Quotes from Giants of Literature
With their considerable talent for words, great authors and poets have made timeless observations about the transcendent power of music.
- George Eliot (line 11)
- "Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent." - Henry David Thoreau
- "He who sings scares away his woes." - Miguel de Cervantes
- "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo
- "There is no truer truth obtainable / By man than comes of music." - Robert Browning
- "After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
- "Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen
- "The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." - William Shakespeare
- "Music takes us out of the actual and whispers to us dim secrets that startle our wonder as to who we are, and for what, whence, and whereto." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Music fills the infinite between two souls." - Rabindranath Tagore
Music Quotes for Everyone
Memorable quotes about music demonstrate that the power of words is on par with the power of music. Music lovers of all kinds, whether musicians or enthusiasts, will appreciate quotes that strike strong chords of agreement that music is one of the best things life has to offer.