Enhance your holiday celebration with seasonal, celebratory songs. There are plenty of Hanukkah songs to choose from whether you're looking for something traditional or silly, in English or in Hebrew. Download some of these tunes, all of which are available to purchase for about a dollar each, turn your speakers up and start getting festive!
Traditional Hanukkah Songs
While there are plenty of modern takes on holiday songs, sometimes it's nice to listen to the classics that have been passed down from generation to generation. After all, tradition is a big part of any religious celebration.
Songs in Hebrew
- Ma'oz Tzur - This beautiful Hebrew melody dates back to the 13th century, and it recalls the times that the Jews were saved by God, including when they were attacked by the Greeks at the very first Hanukkah. You can download David and the High Spirit's version of this traditional classic.
- S'vivon - One of the many Hanukkah dreidel songs, this is a fun Hebrew ditty that will make you want to clap along. You can purchase a recording of children singing it from Amazon.
- Haneirot Halalu - An ode to the Hanukkah lights, these lyrics remind listeners of the story of Hanukkah and the miracles that saved the Jews. Folk singer Dafna's rendition of the psalm is a lovely version to add to your collection.
- Mi Yimalel - This traditional song honors the Maccabees and their brave struggle to save the Jews. Julie Silver's clear voice shines on this track.
Songs in English
Hanukkah Oh Hanukkah - One of the first Hanukkah songs Jewish children learn to sing, this upbeat classic praises the traditions of the holiday. For a fun version of this song try the Barenaked Ladies' cover of the track.
I Have a Little Dreidel - This children's rhyme is a song that just about everyone knows and despite its simplicity, it's fun for people of any age. The mp3 can be purchased on Amazon and added to your holiday playlist.
Every holiday has a few funny, comedic melodies that are upbeat and maybe even a little silly. Hanukkah is no exception!
- Chanukah (Shake It Off) - The kids will love this a cappella satire that's set to the tune of Taylor Swift's Shake It Off. The group Six13 is both talented and hilarious and their song is sure to become a new holiday classic. You can purchase it from iTunes.
- How Do You Spell Channukkahh? - This bass heavy, upbeat rock number jokes about the various ways that the holiday is spelled. Have fun with the band the LeeVees and your family with this song.
Modern Hanukkah Tunes
These songs often tell traditional stories, but the recordings offer contemporary twists and styles. Update your holiday collection with some of these options.
- holiday folk song starts slowly and builds to an energetic climax. It pays tribute to the fire that stayed lit in the Jews' Temple centuries ago.
- Pass the Candle (From Left to Right) - Singer Michelle Citrin wrote this upbeat ditty to remind you how to light the menorah during the holiday. After you listen to this song once, you'll never have to be reminded again.
- To Be a Light - This is a rock song that considers the philosophical aspects of Hanukkah and asks, "What does it mean to be a light?" Dan Nichols and E18hteen's song is a modern tune that the whole family with love.
- this Rabbi Joe Black track that has a klezmer band in the background.
- The Candles of Chanukah - SoulAviv's acoustic track features beautiful vocals and angelic harmonies that will warm your heart throughout the holiday. The song is about the importance of candles in this festive season.
- Miracle - If you want a reggae-infused, slow rap that honors the purpose of the holiday, enjoy Matisyahu's Hanukkah ballad. The song is also available in four different remixes so you can choose your favorite version.
Celebrating the Festival of Lights
Whether you're enjoying a quiet celebration with family or throwing a festive Hanukkah party, Hanukkah just isn't complete without a good selection of holiday songs to listen to. Fortunately, these days there are more songs than ever to help you celebrate and you're sure to find one you like, no matter what your taste.